Elizabeth Heiskell knows a couple of things about Southern hospitality. Heading a catering company for the previous 20 years, the Mississippi Delta-born chef particulars what dishes to deliver on any occasion, from potlucks to Tremendous Bowl parties, in her new cookbook, “What Can I Convey?”
For instance, in case you have a new mama to go to, meals—not teddy bears—is the present to deliver. Heiskell recommends dishes which are delicate enough for the nursing mom but still satisfying enough for the remainder of the family, like a roasted hen perfumed with rosemary and served with root greens.
Right here’s a recipe from Heiskell for easy-to-make pinwheels with sausage and white cheddar you can deliver to dinner with associates. Bonus: You'll be able to prep them forward of time.
Sausage and White Cheddar Pinwheels
One phrase that's music to my ears is “it freezes superbly.” It’s completely true of this recipe. Make this dough by way of Step 1, roll it in plastic wrap, and freeze. When ready to serve, pull out of the freezer, thaw for an hour, slice, and bake.
Time: Three hours (15 minutes hands-on)
- 1 pound delicate ground pork sausage
- 1/2 (17.3-ounce) package deal frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- half cup chopped scallions
- 2 ounces white Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
1. Unroll the puff pastry sheet on a flippantly floured floor. Unfold the sausage over the puff pastry sheet, leaving a 1-inch border on all sides. Sprinkle the sausage with the scallions and cheese. Roll up the pastry sheet with sausage mixture, jelly-roll style, beginning at one long aspect of rectangle.
2. Wrap the sausage and pastry roll in plastic wrap, and freeze 2 hours. (The roll may be frozen for as much as 1 month. Thaw till simply capable of slice with a serrated knife before proceeding with the recipe.)
Three. Preheat the oven to 400 F. Utilizing a serrated knife, slice the roll into about 20 (1\/2-inch-thick) slices. Place slices on a greased baking sheet.
four. Bake in the preheated oven until the pastry is golden and the sausage is cooked via, 40 to 45 minutes.
Reprinted from “What I Can Deliver? Southern Food for Any Occasion Life Serves Up” by Elizabeth Heiskell. Revealed by Oxmoor Home.