Elizabeth Heiskell is aware of a couple of issues about Southern hospitality. Heading a catering company for the past 20 years, the Mississippi Delta-born chef details what dishes to deliver on any event, from potlucks to Super Bowl parties, in her new cookbook, “What Can I Deliver?”
For example, if in case you have a brand new mama to go to, meals—not teddy bears—is the present to convey. Heiskell recommends dishes which might be delicate enough for the nursing mom but still satisfying enough for the remainder of the household, like a roasted hen perfumed with rosemary and served with root vegetables.
Right here’s a recipe from Heiskell for easy-to-make pinwheels with sausage and white cheddar which you could convey to dinner with buddies. Bonus: You possibly can prep them forward of time.
Sausage and White Cheddar Pinwheels
One phrase that's music to my ears is “it freezes superbly.” It’s perfectly true of this recipe. Make this dough by means of Step 1, roll it in plastic wrap, and freeze. When able to serve, pull out of the freezer, thaw for an hour, slice, and bake.
Time: Three hours (15 minutes hands-on)
- 1 pound delicate floor pork sausage
- half (17.Three-ounce) package deal frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 2 ounces white Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
1. Unroll the puff pastry sheet on a calmly floured floor. Spread the sausage over the puff pastry sheet, leaving a 1-inch border on all sides. Sprinkle the sausage with the scallions and cheese. Roll up the pastry sheet with sausage mixture, jelly-roll style, starting at one lengthy aspect of rectangle.
2. Wrap the sausage and pastry roll in plastic wrap, and freeze 2 hours. (The roll may be frozen for as much as 1 month. Thaw until just capable of slice with a serrated knife earlier than proceeding with the recipe.)
3. Preheat the oven to 400 F. Utilizing a serrated knife, slice the roll into about 20 (1\/2-inch-thick) slices. Place slices on a greased baking sheet.
4. Bake within the preheated oven till the pastry is golden and the sausage is cooked via, 40 to 45 minutes.
Reprinted from “What I Can Convey? Southern Food for Any Occasion Life Serves Up” by Elizabeth Heiskell. Revealed by Oxmoor House.